Mushroom Chorizo EmpanadasYUMMLY
These savory Mexican empanadas are made with a mixture of masa harina, baking powder, and a touch of flour that cooks up light, crispy, and flavorful when pan-fried. Note that you’ll need a tortilla press for making them. But if you are short on time, some stores sell frozen empanada shells that you can simply fill, seal by pressing with a fork, and bake according to package instructions. Either way, you’ll love the tasty combination of sauteed mushrooms and chorizo with melty cheese. It’s a perfect office or picnic lunch because the empanadas travel well and no silverware is needed. The recipe, which makes 8 empanadas, is a Yummly original created by Ericka Sanchez.
- 1 1/4 cups masa harina
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 9 oz. chorizo sausage (Mexican-style, preferably spicy pork; or use beef or soy chorizo)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil (divided)
- 1/4 cup white onion (chopped)
- 3 cups cremini mushrooms (chopped, about 8 oz.)
- 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- sour cream (for serving)
- In a large bowl, combine masa harina, salt, and water, kneading with your hands until a smooth ball forms. Masa should be moist but not sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest about 30 minutes for the moisture to even out.
- While dough rests, prepare filling: Set a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Squeeze chorizo from casings into pan, discard casings, and cook chorizo, breaking up pieces, until it starts to get crisp, 3-4 minutes. Transfer chorizo to a plate and discard fat from pan.
- Reduce heat under frying pan to medium and add 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring often, until tender, about 10 minutes. Fold in cooked chorizo, then set mixture aside until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
Unlock full nutritional details with subscription
|Calories1030Calories from Fat790|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat790|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Jot it down
Subscribe to Yummly to add notes