Ground Beef GoulashHELMIEASHIBLIE
There are many Beef Goulash recipes out there and this was based on Chef John's. Understandably almost all recipes call for cut beef in cubes. This one uses lean ground beef just like American Goulash and is best served with pasta (macaroni, elbow or penne) or rice.
- Using salt and black pepper, season the ground beef while heating the vegetable oil in a large skillet on high heat. Add the seasoned beef in batches and cook until the ground beef is brown. Then transfer to pot, reserving the drippings at the bottom of the pan.
- Bring the skillet back to medium heat and stir in the onions and olive oil. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and cook for 3 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Add them to the pot with the beef.
- After removing the onions, combine the paprika, black pepper, caraway seeds, marjoram, cayenne pepper and thyme and cook on medium heat for around 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth or stock and stir. Add the mixture to the pot.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth or stock into the beef mixture. Next, add in the vinegar, sugar, bay leaf, garlic and tomato paste and stir to combine. Heat the mixture on high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 - 30 min.
- Serve it with macaroni, elbow or penne pasta. Even rice!
|Calories250Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat110|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.