Bánh Xèo (Vietnamese Crêpes with Prawns and Pork Belly)RECIPESPLUS
Add All to Shopping List
Add to Meal Planner
- For the filling: rub the pork belly all over with 1/2 tsp of salt and a pinch of sugar. Cover and refrigerate for approximately 2 hours. Then preheat the oven to 350°F. Put the pork belly with the fat facing up in an Dutch oven and bake for 1 hour in the oven. Then turn the temperature down to 250°F and cook it for 1 more hour. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly. Wrap the pork tightly in foil and chill it for 2-3 hours in the fridge.
- Slice the cold pork thinly. Heat the oil in a wok or a large skillet and fry the prawns for 2-3 minutes. Season them to taste and leave them to cool.
- For the crêpes: mix the rice flour with about 1 tsp of salt and the turmeric. Whisk with the coconut milk, then stir in the sparkling water. Pour the batter through a fine sieve and stir in the scallions. Refrigerate it for 1 hour. For the dip: warm the fish sauce slightly in a saucepan and dissolve the 3/4 cup of sugar in it. Let it cool and stir in the lime juice and chili.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick frying pan with a lid (approx. 11 inch diameter). Pour 1 ladle full of the batter into the pan so that it's fully coated. Put 4-5 prawns and 5-6 pork belly slices on the batter and put a handful of beansprouts on one side. Put the lid on and cook it 3-4 mins. When the crêpe is golden, fold it over and keep it warm on a plate, while you repeat the process with the rest of the ingredients. Serve the crêpes sprinkled with herbs with the dip on the side.
|Calories950Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat570|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.