You could certainly buy chutney from the supermarket or an Indian food market, but making it from scratch couldn’t be easier, and the results will taste all the fresher and brighter. Just seven ingredients and about half an hour is all it takes to transform fruit (apple and mango) into a delectable jamlike condiment. Spread it on sandwiches, mix it into cream cheese to make a dip for crudité, or serve as a sidekick for roast pork or chicken.
- Peel the apple and mango. Dice them.
- In a pan, put the brown sugar and the honey to make a caramel. As soon as the mixture begins to melt and foam, deglaze with vinegar over high heat.
- Bring to a boil for a minute and add the diced apple, star anise, and spices. Stew for about 5 minutes.
- Add diced mango and cook for 20 minutes until the fruits become translucent.
- Pour into a jar and store in a cool place.