Why make plain pancakes when you can so easily amp up the batter by folding in fresh fruit, such as the apples in this recipe. Peel them first and then grate the flesh on the large holes of a box grater rather than dicing them, for the best texture. It's a good idea to begin heating the pan while you are mixing together the batter so it's sufficiently hot, as that is what will produce the fluffiest pancakes.
- In a bowl, mix flour with milk. Mix in egg, peeled and grated apples, vanilla extract, and sugar.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a small frying pan. Remove any excess oil with a paper towel.
- With a soup ladle, pour batter into frying pan. When bubbles form, flip pancake and cook on the other side.
- Make the pancakes one at a time.
- Serve with powdered sugar and cinnamon, or just honey, if desired.