You say snails, they (as the French) say escargot. But in Portugal these are considered an everyday snack since they are so inexpensive and readily available. Should you come across a source of snail, say at a gourmet grocer or a Portuguese food market, snatch them up and use them to prepare this authentic dish. Just be sure to give the snails a good washing in several changes of water until you no longer see any grit. Serve them warm with crusty bread and a cold one.
- Wash the snails, changing the water several times, until you see that they are perfectly clean.
- Place the snails in a large pot and cover with water until completely submerged.
- First of all place on a slow heat. Then increase the heat until it boils.
- Place the remaining ingredients, except the oil and allow to soak in. Turn off the heat.
- Sprinkle with a little of olive oil. Serve warm and with bread and a cold beer.