- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 8 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 6 celery (ribs, finely chopped)
- 2 yellow onions (large, finely chopped)
- 2 green bell peppers (stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped)
- kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (freshly)
- 1 pound dried kidney beans (soaked overnight)
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- cooked white rice (for serving)
- scallions (Thinly sliced, to garnish)
|Calories130Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat80|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Ann L. 2 months ago
The flavor was delicious but it was a little too hot for me. I omitted the whit and black pepper and used only 1 teaspoon of cayenne and it was still too hot.
Timothy F. 3 months ago
This is a good red beans and rice recipe. I increased the amount of each spice to my taste, didn't use ham hocks and used turkey sausage to lower the fat content. Easy too throw together in the morning and have a warm filling meal for supper.
Michael Travers a year ago
Very great Would make this again
Schulte a year ago
This was great! I cut this recipe in half and it still made a LOT. I was a little hesitant about the amount of white pepper so I added a little less than it called for. I made a few adjustments: Near the very end the sauce was still really thin so I made a roux of flour and butter to stir in to thicken it and it turned out a much nicer consistency. After simmering everything I added a pound of sliced andouille sausage to make it more of a full meal. I also added 3 tsp of apple cider vinegar at the end because most New Orleans style red beans and rice recipes call for that. It made a great addition to the taste! Will make this in the future this way.
CJ S. 2 years ago
Had to reduce the spice level for my kids but we all enjoyed it!