Atole is a traditional hot corn and masa based beverage that originated in Mesoamerica. This recipe for Guava Atole uses cornstarch as its basis and is flavored with sweet ripe guava and cinnamon for a tasty hot beverage that will warm you right up during the cold winter months. Ready in just a little over a half an hour, this sweet and cozy hot beverage will have you dreaming of cold nights just so you can make it again.
- Boil the guavas and cinnamon stick in water. Let them cool.
- Place in the blender and add some of the water they were cooked in. Puree until smooth. Strain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in water.
- In a pot, add the milk, a pinch of baking soda, the guava mixture, the sugar, and the dissolved cornstarch.
- Place on the stove over medium heat while constantly stirring until it thickens.