Broad bean pie a.k.a Koukopita in Corfu (Kouko) comes from the word koukia, which are the beans and of course pita is pie therefore koukopita. By now you should have a small list with all the greek food words that I have given you. Broad bean are also called fava beans and it's an ancient legume consomed by the ancient Greeks and Romans. A very nutritious vegetable high in protein and in fiber. This a traditional recipe from my husband's village Zygos located in the northern part of Corfu Island in Greece. A recipe that was given to me by my Aunt Voula who is a specialist when it comes to baking pies. This a no phyllo/crust pie and very simple to make.
- First, boil your broad beans and drain then add water, oil 1/4 cup, salt and pepper, boil until soft andfor 10 - 15 min. and drain.
- When they are ready and drained, place them in a bowl and mash your broad beans.
- In a separate bowl add milk,feta cheese, eggs, mint, dill, garlic, flour, semolina salt & pepper to taste mix well. Add your mashed braod beans and mix well, sprinkle with olive oil and mix again.
- Butter your pan I used a 9 * 2 inches, you can really use any pan.
- Add your mixture, bake at 375 degrees for about 30 - 45 minutes. Let it cool and serve as a brunch or lunch dish! Kale Orexi another recipe from my kitchen to yours!!
|Calories250Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat140|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.