You’re thinking “Larb, what the heck is Larb? And who was the marketing team working for Larb, surely that brain trust could’ve think-tanked a better name?” Trust me on this one, I know it sounds kinda gross, but Larb is the best! If you're stuck in a recurring rut of ordering Pad Thai, climb out of the box, and try something new. You will find this dish to be bright and fresh, exploding with the flavors of Thailand. Don’t be scared, we can hold hands, let me introduce you to my friend Larb. This recipe was made in partnerships with Katie Couric’s Wake Up Call - check it out for more news and delicious recipes that you can make in Seconds.
- Toast rice - Place a large non-stick pan over med-high heat (we love Abbio!). Add the rice to the dry pan and toast for a couple of minutes. Dump the rice to your mortar and pestle and grind it up into a powder. Place the pan back on the heat.
- Browning chicken - Drizzle some olive oil into your pan. Add the chicken and season with salt. Break up the chicken as it cooks. Add the ground rice to the chicken and stir to combine.
- Kick it up - Zest up your limes and finely dice your onion (you could even pulse in a food processor), and add them to the pan. Now add your fish sauce and sugar for a salty sweet balance. Slice up the scallions and toss them into the pan along with half of your mint leaves. Finely slice the chili, toss in whatever amount of heat you can handle. Squeeze one lime into the larb mixture and toss.
- Grab a plate! Arrange the butter lettuce on the plate. Add a pile of larb and the leftover lime. Garnish with the remaining mint and enjoy!
- Hot Tip! Minty fresh - Save those mint stems to make a fragrant tea or a simple syrup for cocktails.