Add All to Shopping List
Add to Meal Planner
- Preheat oven to 325F. Cut the onions in half and discard the skin. Slice into thin slices.
- Using an oven-safe skillet or saute pan (with lid), melt 2 tablespoons of butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions; saute for several minutes, tossing occasionally, until the onions are soft. Cover pan and place in oven. Cook for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the onions are deeply browned (sorry, I forgot to write down the time). Remove from oven and set aside.
- Place the cut-up sweet potatoes in a medium-size sauce pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender (can easily be pieced with a fork). Drain into colander, then return the potatoes to the pan. Throw in a few dollops of butter (~2 tablespoons to start with) and a glug of half and half. Using a potato masher, blend the potatoes with the cream and butter to the desired consistency, adding more cream and butter as needed. Stir in the sage, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the potatoes are cooking, grill the bangers – on an outdoor grill, or stove-top grill or grill-plate.
- Serve the bangers over the sweet potato mash, topped with caramelized onions.