Masala chai is a delightful, spicy drink that will warm you up from your head to your toes! Perfect for cold, rainy days like these, a creamy masala chai can do wonders for a dreary day and can always be customized precisely to suit your tastes and preferences. Use any kind of milk you like (or none at all), double the spices (or not) - it's up to you! This recipe is a good place to start.
"Photo by Trupti"
Masala Chai Tea
- 2 teaspoons loose leaf black tea
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk (soy, almond, whole, etc)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 4 whole cloves
- 6 whole cardamom seed pods, pressed or ground
- 1 cinnamon stick, optional
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns, optional
- sugar (or other sweeteners) to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring the tea, water, milk, ginger, cloves, and cardamom (and other spices, if using), to a boil.
- Quickly reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the flavor reaches the desired intensity.
- Add the desired amount of sweetener; at least 1 teaspoon is recommended.
- Strain the mixture into a cup and serve hot!
Photo Credits: Trupti