A sweet, sticky cinnamon bun makes an excellent dessert (or breakfast, if you wake up with a sweet tooth). These buns are incredibly easy to make, even on a weekday, and delicious too. Treat yourself to something tasty today and try it!
- 3 tbsps granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter (cold)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 1/2 tbsps confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl stir together 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and cinnamon. Into a large bowl sift together flour, remaining tablespoon granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut butter into small pieces and with your fingertips or a pastry blender blend into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal. In another small bowl whisk together egg and 3 tablespoons milk and add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly floured surface and gently knead, 3 or 4 times, until it forms a dough. Pat dough into a 10- by 6-inch rectangle (about ‚ inch thick). Brush dough with some remaining milk and sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar. Beginning with a short side, roll up rectangle to form a 6-inch log and cut crosswise into 4 pieces. Arrange pieces on a baking sheet, cut sides up, with seams touching. Bake buns in middle of oven until pale golden and cooked through, about 18 minutes.
- In another small bowl stir together confectioners' sugar and water until smooth and drizzle over warm buns.